Monday, April 25, 2016

Calf 8

It rained a lot Thursday night, April 14.  Friday morning, the 15th, when I got up early to give the cattle some small hay bales I discovered a new born calf in the corral.  #80 had given birth to a white faced bull calf earlier that morning.

Even though I was running on less than five hours sleep, Donna could come over right then to help me band the calf's testicles.

The calf was big; and even though he was only a few hours old,  I had to sit on him in the wet muddy manure to hold him down.  My poor hips could hardly stand it.  After trying over and over we finally got both testicles down in his sack so we could band them.

Five boys and three girls so far.

By 1 pm the calf was dry, soft and shiny and was soaking up the sun.

Well.. if you are going to disturb me by taking my photo I guess I'll get up.

Making a new friend

No comments: