Friday, April 15, 2016

Feeder and fight

Last night and this morning I fed small bales to the cattle until I could move a large bale out to them this afternoon.  This morning I discovered the cattle knocked a board off the wooden feeder. The hay then gets pushed out of the feeder as the cattle eat. Considering how the large cows - and Buddy the bull - push against the feeder I am a little surprised it has lasted as well as it has.   My uncle Curt and uncle Larry helped me strengthen the feeder when they visited me some years ago.

After I refilled the feeder with hay I had to nail the top end board back on.  As Beulah ate she bumped the top board with her head and knocked it off. 




After I placed hay in the feeder this noon two cows quit eating and started fighting.  I was closing the corral gate after getting all the calves into the corral when the two cows come running around the end of the feeder as the rest of the cattle were eating from it.  The little calf born this morning was in the way and got knocked over but fortunately he was not stepped on.  Being so young he still wobbles when he walks so he wasn't able to scamper out of the way.

Here is a 57 second video of the cows fighting at the other end of the corral.  The little calf attempting to get close is the brown cow's calf.

https://youtu.be/jif-SmJkdvI

-

No comments: