Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Calf 2 - Mama's

The second calf is born.  Again it was not Panda's calf.  It was Mama's calf!  This is the third year in a row that the second calf born was from Mama.   Mama's calf was born the morning of March 30.  Again this was prior to the due date of the first calf expected, which was March 31.

The cattle had full access to the corral and all of the north pasture.  In the morning when I put out hay for the cattle I found Mama at the far end of the pasture - by the river.  She was the only cow not to come when I put out the hay.  Okay.... something is up.

Knowing how protective Mama is after her calves are born I stayed across the fence.  As I neared Mama she came over to the fence shaking her head at me and in an agitated mood.  Near a tree near the fence and towards the river was her calf.  All red like Mama.  Unlike Big Red, Mama has her calves take after her.

I knew I wouldn't safely be able to check the calf's sex.  I returned back to the corral.

Both Donna and Paul came a few hours later to help me with Mama and her calf.  Paul and I had sorting sticks in hand as Donna drove us in my pickup out to Mama.

Mama was laying in the pasture just outside the trees near the river.   She stood up as we approached.  Then Mama walked past us and towards the corral. What's going on?! Where is her calf?!

Mama continued on seemingly unconcerned with us. That's not like Mama.  We looked around and I looked to where I last seen the calf.  No calf.  Paul and I walked around and we checked the river in case the calf fell in and drowned.  No calf.  Donna drove around and then she honked the pickup's horn.  She found the calf laying in a dip on the north side of the pasture among the trees.

Why did Mama walk away and leave her calf?!

I checked and the calf was a boy.  Paul and I picked it up and carried it to the pickup bed.  I was worried Mama would turn around and come after us as we were banding the calf.  It was safer to band him in the pickup bed. And that is what we did.

By now Mama was entering the corral.  She was eating hay in the corral when we arrived with the calf in the pickup.  Once Mama saw her calf after Paul and I set it on the ground in the corral Mama got concerned and ran over to her calf.  By now we were safely near the pickup and were able to exit the corral.

Donna was disappointed. It was too easy.  She was expecting an epic challenge like we had last year.  I was surprised and happy it was so easy to band her calf.

After Paul has left Donna got the idea that it would be good to place Mama and her calf in the south side of the corral by herself.  Donna remembered last year Mama getting in our face or suddenly coming up behind us when we were working with other cow's calves.  Mama is protective of other calves too.

Mama is also protective of her calf from the other cattle.  Last year she got into fights with other cows who looked at her calf cross-eyed.

So we had a little sorting to do.  I opened and closed the corral gate to the pasture to let the other cattle out but not Mama and her calf.  Mama is smart and knew what I was doing and she tried to get out with her calf.

Eventually we were down to Mama and her calf and the first calf born the previous day.  This calf was confused and stayed close to Mama.  The first calf's mother - now outside the corral - heard the commotion and realized her calf was 'missing'.  She came to the corral gate and loudly mooed at me and also her calf.  The calf got more confused.

Eventually Donna and I lured Mama and her calf into the south corral.  Donna stood outside the corral fence of the south corral and Mama bummed rushed Donna.  We got the gate closed before the first calf could follow Mama through the gate.  Then I opened the main corral gate so the first calf and her mother could be reunited.

I plan on leaving Mama and her calf separated for about three weeks.  She seems to calm down after that.  Mama has calmed down around me now.  She no longer charges the fence when I am near it.  And I can safely put out bales of hay for her to eat.  Donna or other people?  Mama doesn't want them near.  Even with my newly built solid corral fence with railroad tie posts Donna still jumps back when Mama charges her.

Donna's friend, Wendy, named the calf.  His name is Clyde.

To prevent further calves from being born at the far end of the pasture I put up corral panels across the pasture nearer the corral.  I am not ready to lock all the cattle in the corral.  Two months of manure and left over hay is more than I want to be concentrated in the corral.  One month is enough.



The banded testicles.

All red except for the white highlights on her forehead.   Cute.

Here are photos of Mama's calf, the first calf, and Buddy before Donna and I got Mama and her calf separated into the south corral.  The calf sleeps through all the commotion.






Here is a 56 second video of Mama in the south corral.

https://youtu.be/QE2kTwgEdOo

-

No comments: