Thursday, April 21, 2016

Calf 7

The seventh calf was born late morning on April 10. It was a beautiful warm day and a great day to be born.  This birth I was able to watch.  I could tell a hour or two earlier that cow #90 was close to giving birth.  While the rest of the cattle were in the corral, 90 was by laying by herself at the NW corner of the pasture area the cattle can get to.  A short time later she was in another part of the pasture by herself.  She was circling around with her tail up.  Her udder looked full.

I called Donna and she came over to watch.  I got a couple plastic chairs and we sat in the hayfield just across the fence from where cow #90 was laying.


She didn't appreciate an audience.   She got up and moved further away near the corral panels and a tree.  We waited until she was farther along before we moved closer to watch.  Still, as we approached she got up and moved a little further away and laid down again.  This time we waited until the calf was halfway out before I slowly walked closer in order to film the birth.   Cow 90 quickly got up and the calf quickly slipped completely out as the mother stood up.   Wow!  That was fast.

I then got some photos and filmed a video. 


It's a girl!


First steps.
 
Five days later.  Calf 7 is standing.



The camera's battery was low so I didn't actually film when the calf first stood up.  I got the mother licking the calf right after its birth.  I filmed when the calf first sat up and also when she started to move her front legs.  After a short time of the camera being turned off I was able to get a quick video of the calf standing before the camera battery quickly died gain.

https://youtu.be/30py6lfGkgM

-

No comments: