Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Spring work

I guess an advantage of my time off blogging is that you get the annual Spring work posts in one fell swoop, and condensed.

Yes, I burnt the ditches again this year.  It went quick.  No photos.

Yes, I drug the harrow across the hayfield and all the pastures this year.  I also drug the harrow across the northern neighbor's field to break up the manure my cattle left last Fall.  By the time I was done harrowing four of the harrow sections were more pieces than harrow sections.  The tree roots in the middle pasture really did a number on these harrow sections.  Even beat to heck the harrow pieces do a very good job scraping the ground.

Now that I have a tractor with a bucket, after I finished the harrow work, I used the tractor to level a dozen large bumps in the middle pasture.  A few of them were tall enough that the step on the bottom of the pickup would rub on the bumps.  Afterwards I had to go out and use a rake to completely level the dirt and sod I had cut off the bumps.  This was more work than I expected.

Time to go to work with a rake to finish the job.



No, I did not prune the fruit trees.  It would have been too difficult to do with one arm.  I did do some trimming of branches on the box elder trees next to the pole shed.  I had to use my right arm to saw the branches.  Took a lot longer to do the work.  But I had to do something as sitting around was not sitting well with me.


No comments: