Friday, April 01, 2016

Pipe on split corral fence

Here is the post I had written when Blogger quit sending emails.  I wrote this back on March 4 when I was still recovering from my collarbone surgury.


I finally finished my corral fence rebuild.   The last part to do was add a length of pipe on the part of the fence splitting the corral.  That should prevent a cow or Buddy the Bull from pushing hard against back of the fence and popping off the boards.

I tried to estimate the correct height.  Not too high and not too low.

I didn't have enough of one pipe so I had to use two different sizes.  The three sections making up the smaller diameter I was able to screw together.  Not the easiest to do as I needed to use two pipe wrenches and two arms.  I paid attention to not over stress my shoulder.  I expected my shoulder would ache later that evening, but it didn't.  Success.

It also was a challenge to get the pipes up and in place without lifting with one arm, but I did it.

Initially I planned to only hang the wider pipe and wait till another day to do the rest, but things went fairly well and I was able to finish in the same afternoon.

I decided to use screws instead of nails in order to attach the brackets.  This would avoid nails loosening over the years.  The only challenge was screwing screws into the railroad ties.  I used an electric drill to screw the screws but a quarter of the way into the tie the screw head would start to strip.  I had to use a vice-grip to completely screw in the screws.  Even then it was hard and the screws would snap off and I would have to move the bracket.  Then, dud, I realized I should drill a small hole first.  I still had to use a vice-grip to finish the screws - but no more breakage.

I think the cattle will also use the pipes to scratch their heads against.

Small pipe going into a larger pipe.

Small pipe going into a larger pipe.



I couldn't remove the t-connector because it was rusted on.  So I left it.
-

No comments: