Sunday, April 17, 2016

Fence and calves

Unplanned work today was fixing a fence.   You'd think with a large bale of great hay that would be enough for the cattle.  But no, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.  The fence normally is not a problem, but the cattle straining and leaning over the fence put pressure on the wood fence posts and I found they were more rotten than I thought.   I had to replace all six fence posts this afternoon.

While working on the fence #7 kept coming over to try to reach over the fence and I had to shoo her away several times.

As I was nailing the fence back to the last post Buddy ambled over.  After checking out the tools he came over to me.  I was outside the fence to nail the fence back to the posts.  I started scratching his head which he likes.  He then moved a bit so I could scratch his neck.  Then along his side.  With the recent warm weather his winter hair is coming off.

I thought Buddy would amble on after a few minutes.  But no, he was really into my scratching him. Over about 20 to 30 minutes I scratched most of his right side and made a pile of hair on the ground.  He just stood there chewing his cud with occasional movements to have me scratch a certain spot.  My arms were ready to fall off when I finally quit.  After a few minutes Buddy ambled off.

While I scratched Buddy Daisy woke up and saw me.  She came over and meowed at me to get my attention.  She was jealous.  After a bit she came over and laid along the fence near me and under Buddy.  She would roll around on the ground.

Daisy!  You're gonna be as flat as a pancake if Buddy steps forward and on you!  You need to move!

Finally she moved to behind Buddy.  When Buddy later took a step backwards she quickly moved out of the way.  She then moved over to the tools and laid along the post hole digger handle occasionally hugging the handle.  And occasionally moan her displeasure at being ignored.

Fixed fence


Later in the evening Red's calf came running over to me as I walked along a fence.  That got Red excited and she came running over and mooing but quickly calmed down.




A little grooming of the calf by Red.



Man and her calf were also nearby.



No comments: