Sunday, November 01, 2015

Sun, rain, sun, rain, over and over

It was suppose to be an all day rainy Sunday.  So I stayed up late Saturday night and slept in Sunday morning.  It wasn't raining when I woke.  It was somewhat dry with no rain in sight.

I cleaned the wood stove.  By the time I was done blue sky was appearing and sun may come to my part of the Valley.  The weather forecast called for high winds starting at 10 am.  10 am came and a breeze rose up then died away.  Looks like the weather forecast may be off for the day.  Maybe I can work on the tool shed roof.

First I wanted to go to a moving sale a mile down the road.  It was sunny and I wore sunglasses.  The sale was held in the house.  The house was a large log home and nice.  The house was set in the trees.  Although nice, to this wide open prairie boy, the trees screened out too much sun.  Over time I would miss the sun and a view.

Thew items for sale were high class and decorative.  Not your typical moving yard garage sale. The prices were reasonable.  One painting (print) interested me.  It was a slightly impressionistic painting of a large building set in (probably) the rolling French country side.  While a landscape of a sunny afternoon, the scene was only of the building with fields and a few trees.  It had a slightly melancholy feel to it.  Or maybe the current house that the painting was in contributed to that feeling.  When I got back home I looked round, and while I did find a place to hang the painting, I decided not to go back and buy it.  I was tempted though.  $35 was reasonable for the painting.

Also outside the moving sale was a couple locked out their pickup.  They had left the pickup keys and their dog inside the pickup when they went into the sale. Not a smart move.  As they returned to the pickup their dog got excited and stepped on the door lock button.  They tried to get the dog to unlock the doors but that wasn't working.  As I left he was trying to snake a wire inside the window in an attempt to reach the door unlock button.

It was cloudy when I exited the moving sale.  By the time I got back home a strong wind picked up and it was starting to rain.

Maybe I won't work on the tool shed roof.

I had pancakes for breakfast.  After I was done with breakfast the rain had quit.  The clouds looked to be breaking up. It was still damp so I put some of the irrigation pipes away.

It had become dry so I decided to work on the roof.  I was just about to remove the plastic and tarps when *splat* ....  *splat*.   The clouds to the west, instead of moving north like usual, came over overhead.  Just because I was going to work on the roof.

It rained.

What to do?  I worked on the pole shed wall.  I could do that from inside the pole shed.  I redid the support 2 by 4s from perpendicular to parallel to the plywood board to make a larger surface area to nail to.  On the two eight foot plywood sections I added four more 2 by 4s for support.

I was 2/3 the way done when the rain quit and the sun came out.  I decided to finish the 2 by 4 board work before working on the roof.

I was almost done adding all the felt I needed when it began to rain again.

Really?  Really?!!  Really?!!  Does it have to rain again?!!!

I recovered the roof with the plastic.  It was too late.  By now the felt had water on it.  When the rain quit and I removed the plastic there was water.  I got a broom and swept the water drops off the felt.  The felt still had water on it.  While the clouds were once again breaking up, the sun was now in the far western sky and hanging behind the cloud bank that ringed the Valley.  No help from the sun.

The felt didn't dry, and even if it would have finally dried within the hour, it would be too late to roll out the third roll of asphalt roofing.  It is a shame as the temperature got up to 57 degrees - warmer than predicted and warm enough (greater than 50 degrees) to roll out the roofing and seal it with roofing tar.  The prediction for the rest of the week is clouds, rain, sun and high temperatures only in the low to mid 40s.

The frustration continues.

No comments: