Saturday, November 21, 2015

Feeder, straw, fence

Saturday's projects...

I fixed the wooden feeder.  I still don't know why the boards didn't fit tight this year.  I cut a new board to fill the gap.




I put up barriers to the straw so that when the cattle are in the corral this Winter they won't make a mess of the straw before I lay it out for them.



I also fixed the barrier to the weedy hay.



I started to finish the fence that will split the corral.  This is the last part of the corral fence to do.  I started on it last year but only got two gates and one section done.


The nights now get below freezing and the ground freezes.  The afternoons get above freezing and the ground thaws allowing for a few hours of digging.  Next week the weather forecast calls for below freezing for a large number of days and that most likely will be the end of fence work for the year.  So I have today, Sunday and Monday to finish the corral fence.

Today I didn't get as far as I would have liked.  I had to spend a few hours finding the boards I will use for the fence. The boards I want to use are the salvage boards I got over the year from the neighboring business' burn pile.  So my piles of boards are a miss-mash of different boards and different lengths of boards gotten various times.

Semi-sorted boards by type and length


Once I found four similar sized boards of the length I wanted for one section of fence I had to trim the lengths to be the same.



Then I spent time taking down the old barb wire and snow fence.  I did get a hole dug for the first railroad tie by the time it got dark.  I covered the hole so it wouldn't freeze tonight.  Then I can work on putting the railroad tie in the ground tomorrow without having to wait until the ground thaws.

No comments: