Saturday, November 14, 2015

Small chores in warm weather

The weather has been much nicer than predicted.  Over the past few days I worked on small projects put on hold due to my roof project.
  1. Finished fixing the pole shed wall.

  2. Sorted through, organized and put some of the stuff back that formerly was along the inside of the pole shed wall.  Stuff dad had there and 15 years of me adding stuff. What didn't fit organizationally I hauled over to the hay shed where it fit.  Of course that mean some minor organizing in the hay shed.  It doesn't sound like much but it was time consuming.

  3. I worked on putting in the boards that make up the floor into the large wooden feeder.  I don't know why but every year the boards fit differently.  This year, on one side, part of a board barely wouldn't fit while on the other half of the feeder there is a large enough opening I will have to cut a new board to close it.  Moving the pieces around wouldn't fix the problem. I went to trim the one board with the jigsaw.  The screw and blade came off.  Even using the magnet and a flashlight I couldn't find the pieces after 10+ minutes of searching.  Kelly returned from hunting and then helped me.  Within a minute of looking, and using just a small flashlight, he found both pieces in the grass.  Amazing.

  4. I patched the fence rail between the hay field and the backyard.  The cattle pushed against it and broke it.  Rather than finding (digging out) another rail I nailed several boards to the broken rail to patch and fix it.

  5. I carried the pieces of irrigation pipe still in the north pasture and backyard out to the place along the fence in the middle pasture where I will store them over Winter.  I want these pieces at least out of the way before snow covers and hides them.  Later, after sunset, I heard the cattle rattling the pipes. 

  6. Using my tractor I helped my neighbor Curtis move three large pieces of machinery into his building. He got another hot tub to repair and resell and I helped unload it from his trailer and then set flat on the ground.

  7. Then Curtis helped me put the new door on my tractor.  Two people made the task go easier and quicker.

  8. With my tractor I lifted and moved the metal hay feeder from the corral out to the north pasture.  The weather forecast  may mean I will be feeding hay to the cattle sooner than later.  The feeder is three sections bolted together.  I tightened up the bolts and nuts.  One bolt lost its nut.  The bolt's threads also had gotten damaged.  A new nut wouldn't hold tight, even after re-cutting the threads.  Fortunately I found a new bolt.  With the feeder half way across the pasture that meant lots of walking back and forth to the tool shed.  Daisy walked with me once.  The second time she just sat there and looked at me with an expression of, "Really?  You're walking back out there when we were just there?  Fine.  You go but I am staying here."  She sat in the corral and kept an eye on me until I returned.

  9. Plus a few other small tasks.

No comments: