Saturday, November 07, 2015

Baling straw

Donna had lots of loose straw she wanted to get rid of.  I wanted straw for bedding material for my cattle this Winter. On a nice sunny (relatively) warm Saturday, after postponing it a number of times since Summer, we finally baled up the straw.

First we had to move the sheep from this yard over to another one.


The room with the loose straw.


I moved the hay from the room to the door.  Donna fed the straw into her baler.  I took the bales as they popped out of the baler and stacked them in my pickup.


I got two pickup loads of bales.  I stored most of the bales in the barn's attic.  The bales were very loose and tricky to handle.  I had to store four or so bales under the attic's lean-to as the bales were too loose to lift up into the attic.  One bale popped out of its twine as I lifted it.


I put the loose straw out in the middle pasture into two piles.  Beulah and the rest of the cattle were curious and when done I opened a small gate and let the cattle from the hayfield into the pasture.  They went over to the straw, sniffed around it and then gave me a puzzled look as they were expecting hay.

Buddy stood in the gate's opening and rubbed his neck against the post.  This post is a post and not a railroad tie and the post wobbled in the ground, but it held.

No comments: