Saturday, November 28, 2015

Rose

My racist black cows are still picking on the red cows.  Rose is at the bottom of the pecking order among the red cows.  It doesn't matter that I have two feeders; usually a black cow is at each feeder and one will chase Rose away from the feeder.  A black cow will even take a break from eating hay to chase Rose away.

I would chase the racist black cow away so Rose could go back to the feeder but when I went away a black cow would come back to chase Rose away.

I noticed, that while they couldn't get to all of the weedy bales under the loafing shed, the cattle's attempts caused several bales to tip over in the protected area.  I took one bale and laid it out in an open area under the loafing shed roof.  Rose then came over and ate the good grass among the weeds.  She was able to eat until the cattle ate all the hay in the two feeders and then came over and chased her off so they could eat the rest of the weedy hay.

So I opened the gate to south of the barn and let Rose in by herself to eat the hay in the south feeder.  She ate there the rest of the afternoon until I put more hay out for the cattle after 5 pm.  Then Rose wanted back in with the rest of the cattle.  How much hay she got then - I don't know.




Btw - now that I bought another hay feeder yesterday -guess what? - someone has two feeders for sale on Craigslist today.  Yup.  Same old story.

No comments: