Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Chill in the air

It didn't rain overnight (not that I know of).   But the morning was cloudy and had a chill.

Because the south side of the tool shed is slightly steeper than average, and is only 6 feet wide, I take care when walking on it.  When removing the shingles I stand when I can and sit when I must.  That is hard on my jeans.  Before getting going on the roof Tuesday I had to patch a pair of jeans.

While I'm mentioning the roof width, the two parts are not equal.  While the south side is 6 feet wide, the north side is 10 feet wide.  The roof's peak is not centered over the building.  Why?  I have no clue.

The chill was less once I went out in the afternoon to work on the roof, but the day was still cloudy and cool.  I was glad I finished installing the asphalt roofing roll on Monday when it was sunny and warmer.

I was able to remove the rest of the shingles from the roof.  Next, before starting with the new shingles, I needed to work on the fascia.   The current fascia has some rot in the center section.  It is also 7 1/2 inches wide, wider than the 2 by 4 studs it is attached to. Why?  I have no clue. The tool shed is not a tall building, and combined with the wide fascia, I often hit my head on the fascia.  The wider width may be a reason the top of the fascia is attached higher, high enough that the edge of the roof is flat. This didn't help the roof shed water over the edge. That may explain a few spots of rotting wood along the edge of the roof.

I searched my treasure pile of boards and found - near the bottom of course - three 5 1/2 inch boards.  Perfect width for a new fascia.

With the fascia boards off the studs I noticed a number of the stud ends were not perpendicular to the ground.  They tended to lean out which made the fascia boards lean out and be more likely to catch the water running off the roof.  Just another "feature" of the tool shed.   Using a level and a jigsaw I trimmed a number of the stud ends to be more up and down.

You know, if I could ever go back in time, I would go back to when the previous owners built buildings and other stuff on the ranch.  I would like to know why they did what they did for a number of things.  It often makes no sense.

It was getting dark by the time I finished trimming the studs.  While I had hoped to finish the fascia work and get started on the new shingles, there is always tomorrow.


No comments: