Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Dragging it out

It rained all of Monday so...no work on the tool shed roof.

Tuesday the sun shone briefly in the morning before it clouded back over.  But no rain.  Even though I had to wait for the heavy frost to melt, and took time to roll up the rest of the garden hoses once it warmed above freezing, I thought I would be able to finish the tool shed roof.  Silly me, when will I ever learn?

All I had to finish was the small strip of roof on the north side.   But it wasn't that easy.  The strip was not the same width across the roof due to the roof's shape.  The east side was wider than the west side.  I was running low on shingles and didn't want to lay more rows than I had to.

Two rows of shingles would cover the roof - except! for about six feet on the east side.  The east six feet was about an inch too wide for two rows of shingles. The inch that was troublesome was in the gap between the tabs.

My solution.  I cut some of the best part of the old rolled roofing and laid it in the strip. Unless one looked in the gap between the tabs, you'd never know the one row didn't completely cover the new rolled roofing.

The hump in the middle of the roof looks to be a problem but I'll come up with a solution when I install the ridge shingles.

When I got to installing the ridge shingles I only had four three tab shingles left and it was getting late. I cut the three tab shingles into 12 shingles to lay over the ridge.  I quickly nailed them down so I could measure the area they covered so I could then calculate how many more shingles I needed to buy.  It looks like I needed just a few more shingles than is in one bundle.  It figures.

I went to Home Depot to get two more bundles of shingles.  By the time I got home it was too dark to finish shingling.

Later when I was on my nightly bicycle ride I realized I installed the ridge shingles wrong.

 

I had installed the three tab shingles from the left to right.  So when I was in a hurry to install the ridge shingles before dark I also nailed them left to right.  However, due to the prevailing wind direction, I need to install the ridge shingles from right to left.  So.... I'll have to remove the ridge shingles and re-nail them correctly.

Rain is forecast again for tomorrow.   Anything to drag this out.


No comments: