Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Minor setback

As usual I didn't get as much done on the tool shed roof as I would have liked. A cool clear night meant a heavy frost in the morning. This time of the year the large trees over the patio shade the tool shed roof much of the morning.

Once I got the plastic and tarps and bricks and blocks and metal t-posts off the roof, I realized I had installed the roof vent wrong.  The lower part of the vent needs to be over the shingles (or in this case the rolled roofing) while the upper part goes under the shingles.  I had the lower part of the vent under the rolled roofing.



In the afternoon the sun was out, and while the temperature was only in the mid 40s, it was warm enough to work on the rolled roofing.  Next week our forecast high temperatures will only be in the upper 30s so if I am going to fix the vent, today is the time to do it.

It was a challenge to get the vent off.  I had nailed it down good and all the nails were under the roofing.  I carefully removed the nails from the rolled roofing from the edge of the roof to a little past the vent.  I very carefully peeled the rolled roofing back.  However I could only safely remove the roofing up to the vent and not past it.  I did not want to crack or tear the roofing and with the current temperature I was right near the lowest temperature needed to bend the roofing.

I decided to go into the tool shed attic to pound up the nails I couldn't reach from above.  What I forgot was that the opening between the two parts of the attic was only this big.  Daisy could fit through but not me.


I used the jigsaw to cut another board to make the opening larger and then I slipped through it to reach the other side and the vent.  The room to maneuver was tight so I took care not to get stuck.

Once I pounded the nails into the roof I went outside back to the vent and was able to pry the vent off without damaging the roofing material.  Then I put the roofing back into place and nailed the vent down correctly.



As a result of the time spent fixing the vent I didn't have much time to work on installing the new fascia.  With more light to see today I found more work was needed before installing the new fascia boards.  While I had straightened the stud ends, I found, at least for the 10 ft section I was working on, many stud ends went a little past the roof edge.  I want the fascia board to be up tight to the roof edge.  The previous work had relied on the asphalt roofing to cover the gap. So that meant more trimming of the stud ends.  All I got installed Wednesday was one 10 ft section.

Thursday snow and rain is forecast so I don't have high hopes of getting much if anything done on the roof.


Below are a few photos showing the earlier work where I had added extra boards to hold the plywood sheets on the pole shed wall.



The color is funky in this stitched together photo from two photos.

No comments: