Tuesday, July 08, 2008

To the south pasture

No more jail breaks last night or this morning so I moved the cattle to the south pasture today. First I added six steel posts to reinforce the old wood wobbly posts. I could add another three steel posts if I wished. Another day. Since a few of the cattle have shown double jointed ability I also added some wire between the barb wire strands to further reduce their ability to slip through the fence.

All while I worked on the fence I left the gate open between the south and middle pastures so the cattle could come over. All the time I was working on the fence the cattle were down closer to the river. When I was done I found the cattle taking their siesta under the large pine towards the northern side of the middle pasture. One was rolling in the dirt where I had dug around a tree stump last Fall.

I already had moved the salt blocks to the new pasture. I called the cattle but all they did was stand and look at me. I pushed my wheelbarrow of tools closer and called. More stood and looked at me but did not budge. I got relatively close and the same. When I turned around and walked back to the gate they followed me.

I kept one eye out as it can be a little unnerving when the herd runs up behind me. When I got closer to the open gate the leaders spotted it and galloped past me. The whole herd thundered by and rushed into the south pasture's tall grass. They immediately started exploring and eating. So much for their siesta.

The south pasture should keep them occupied and out of trouble for a while. *crossing my fingers*

Dan and Wyatt spoke today and came to an agreement on the price of Wyatt's share of the hay from my field. I will sell some of my share to Dan for that price too. I am going to keep a couple ton of hay for the cattle I plan to purchase next Spring. A number of people are already trying to get $150 a ton for their hay, which is too greedy. It seems like the typical price ranges from $90/ton to $110/ton. Our price is in that range. Because of Dan's shoulder Wyatt agreed to make the bales 60 lbs instead of his typical 70 lb bales.

I also called the Express Employment Professional company. They still have not sent me my check for my work as election judge and it has been over a month since the election. They quickly found it sitting on their desk and promised to mail it to me right away.

No comments: