Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Picnic music: Bad Larrys

Tuesday night I attended another of the Picnic in the Park concerts. This time I was very late to the concert. I had a movie checked out from the library; it was due back Tuesday; and I needed to watch it.

The movie was a French film, "The Double Life of Veronique". I don't know... this is supposed to be a good movie, and it was supposed to be dreamy, but I found it dull. The film style was realistic but the story and people in it were not. I fell asleep part way into it. Being cryptic also didn't help matters any as I wasn't in the mood to see a cryptic film.

And my VCR's remote control quit working which slowed things down for me.


The concert started at 7 pm and it was 7:10 pm when I finished watching the movie. I did get the movie returned to the library before 8 pm, which is when the library closes. Therefore I didn't get to the concert until almost 8 pm, just in time for two songs before intermission.

Performing at the concert were "The Bad Larrys", a county and folk group. I've seen them listed as everything from a duo to a trio. Tonight they were a quartet as one member's son played a drum or occasionally a wash board.


They were really good. A very tight playing group. The first full song I heard from them was Credence Clearwater Revival's "Susie Q". Only The Bad Larrys performed it acoustically on guitar, bass fiddle, and mandolin. Unique, and an excellent interpretation of a favorite song of mine.

Here is a youtube video of the duo version of the group singing the Simon and Garfunkel song, "The Boxer": click here.

The group played Johnny Cash's song, "Ring of Fire". Here is a youtube video of the duo singing the song another time: click here.

During intermission I wandered around. I didn't see Gary in his usual spot so I figured he was on his planned cruise. My typical tree to lean against was 'taken' so I found another tree with a good view of the gazebo and the band.

Because last week's rain storm interrupted that concert and their raffle prizes weren't given away, they gave them away tonight. I noticed the prize of 6 lbs of dog food is back again.

Sometime after intermission was over, and the band started again, a bench opened up and I moved over to sit on it. Just before I got to the bench the two young women moved from the right side to the left side so I had to sit on the right side. After I sat down I realized why the women moved: the soundman was standing and blocking the view of one of the players.

There was room on the bench between me and the two women and a short time later a woman riding a bicycle came and asked if she could sit between us. Sure. She was petite and thin. She was about my age and attractive enough, but with her short hair, not as attractive to me. (Besides I think I spotted a ring on her left hand). Just like only a few women can pull off wearing a mini-skirt and looking sexy, so too can only a few women get away with short hair and still look sexy. Short hair is practical, and practical is not often sexy.

Upon sitting down she immediately started to bounce her legs to the music's rhythm. Initially this was annoying as she was bouncing the bench, but she had good rhythm, and as I am rhythmically challenged, I began to notice the rhythm in the music I heretofore missed.

Speaking of women with rhythm, later a woman got up to dance with her teenage daughter. Usually the only dancers are pre-teen kids with a few exceptions for adults practicing a few steps off to the side. Initially I thought the mom drug the kid up to dance with her as the mom had fantastic natural rhythm and the daughter looked awkward. But in later songs I seen it was the daughter dragging her mom up to dance.

Even though they were mother and daughter, apparently rhythm is not in the genes as it didn't appear to be passed on in this case. If the daughter had half the talent her mother had she would have danced better than she did. I give her credit for trying. Perhaps she was inspired by her mother's ability and wants to learn, practice, and improve.

The mother looked to be perfect and I was entranced by her. I wasn't that close to them but she appeared to be around 40. She had long blond hair that went down a third of her back. She wore a slightly faded light blue jean shirt and light blue jean pants. Her clothes were loose - not tight - but still showed off that she had a good figure: not thin, not heavy. Ideal. She wore a woman's straw hat that curved just right in front and back. The hat was perfect for her look. Her clothes for the most part were common, but on her they looked to be her own style. She was barefoot in the green grass.

And her rhythm! She didn't have to move much but everything was connected and flowed from her shoulders to her feet. She seemed to move effortlessly. She didn't just dance to the music, it appeared the music flowed through her.

Some males are just males, and some males are men. The same is with females. Only a few are women. Like Colleen, this person is a woman. This woman had it all together: the look, the moves, everything. And surprisingly I didn't see any rings on her left hand. What's up with that?

No, I didn't go over and talk with her. She probably just wanted a relaxing evening out with her daughter.

Another adult dancing with a few women was a tall, lean, older looking guy. He had medium short gray hair with a red bandanna tied around his head. He wore a print shirt and had leather motorcycle chaps over his pants. What's up with that kind of look? He kind of looked odd.

I first noticed him dancing with a young blond girl young enough to be his daughter. They danced slower and tentative at first but by the end of the song were moving and spinning quite well. Then I saw him dance the next song with a woman his age. He appeared to be trying to teach her the dance's steps and it wasn't going well. I don't think they lasted the song. Then a song or two later he was again dancing with a late teen/early 20s woman. She was dancing better than the older woman, but not as good as the first woman. If a man can dance, one can get the women. The problem is I, and most men, can't dance. How can one dance if they don't notice the rhythm?

Also at the concert I saw Colleen's friend, Pam. You know the one I offended last Summer when I asked for her opinion on how the rich people moving to the Valley are changing it. After I sat on the bench, and later after some people left, she moved to sit in the row in front of me. She didn't notice me.

It wasn't until the concert was over and people were leaving that she noticed me. I had just unlocked my bicycle when she walked by carrying her lawn chair. She did that double look when you see someone you recognize and hadn't seen in a while. As I was looking at her she quickly looked away and kept walking. She didn't have to worry, I wasn't going to ask her opinion on anything. After the nerve I inadvertently struck last time, I know better than to do that with her.

No comments: