Thursday, July 24, 2008

Busy hiking peaks and bicycling

Wednesday I went on a fantastic hike with a new hiking group. We hiked to the top of Altyn Peak in the Many Glacier Valley of Glacier Park. Altyn Peak is 7,947 ft in elevation.

What a fantastic hike! The views of the other mountains, the valleys, the many lakes, and glaciers all were fantastic. And the wildflowers were in bloom and covered the mountain side. I have never seen so many wildflowers in bloom at once. Blues, purples, reds, yellows, oranges, whites, raspberry colors. Only the beargrass was missing as that bloom appeared to have passed already, else not bloomed (I'm not sure).

Coming down we dropped hundreds and hundreds of feet in minutes sliding down a wonderful scree slope that was like walking down on soft snow.

When I get time I will write more about the trip and go through the 280 photos I took. I met the group in Columbia Falls at 7 am and got home a little after 9 pm. Another long day of fun.

Tomorrow Gary will pick me and my bicycle up and, along with Joyce, we are driving to Idaho to ride on the Hiawatha Bicycle Trail that goes from the Montana border for 15 miles crossing through mountains along an abandoned railroad track. Another early day as Gary will be here at 6:15 am. And long day as the trail is about 150 miles away.

Better get to bed as the morning will be here early!

No comments: