Monday, July 28, 2008

Huckleberries and pie cherries

Early Saturday morning I went huckleberry picking with MaryAnn and Joyce. By 'early', I mean early! I drove over to MaryAnn's house at 6 am. I was on time, but that meant I only had 5 hours of sleep (for the third night this week) and no breakfast.

We met Joyce along the way.

At the site we started picking huckleberries right from the road. The area had plenty of huckleberries so I didn't have to range far to find bushes to pick. MaryAnn, ever looking for the better bushes, ranged higher up the mountain side than I did.

Here are a few photos. I was too busy picking to spend time taking really good photos of the huckleberries and bushes.


We picked until noon. While they are older than me, MaryAnn and Joyce are faster and better pickers than I am. I filled a gallon and quart ice cream pail with berries. They each picked almost two gallons.


A few other cars were on the road, and one stopped down the road from MaryAnn's car. A group in that car must have picked for a few hours before leaving.

I knew I shouldn't have worn long lightly colored pants. I eventually kneeled to pick berries and got stains on my knees. How I got a huckleberry stain on my right back ankle is a mystery.

On the way home MaryAnn stopped at a cherry stand and bought some freshly picked Flathead cherries. I also bought a pound of cherries @ $2/pound. I ate half of them before we got too far down the highway. Remember I had no breakfast that morning other than some of the huckleberries as I picked them.

MaryAnn knew of some pie cherry trees down the road from her farm. She already had all the pie cherries she needed and let me have them. The cherry trees were in amongst a grove of trees. It looked to be a former homestead for a farm the way the trees were clustered. I didn't see any sign of the old farm.

The trees were not loaded with cherries as they were 'wild' and needed care and pruning. Still in a few hours I had picked two gallons of cherries. Now to make a pie with them.

This morning I had some of my huckleberries on my pancakes. Yum! Yum! Yum!

1 comment:

Ruby said...

$2 a pound! I get regular cherries at $5 here,and they're not the delicious flathead variety.Sometimes they aren't even very good. For my birthday last month, my friend gave me an Amazon gift certificate,and I spent it at the "Huckleberry Patch" Amazon store. I have a jar of jam and a jar of pie filling. I ate the bark already. I want to find a good crust recipe to make my huckleberry pie. The pie and cherries we had out there were the best ever.I can't imagine picking them fresh.Worth getting up at 5 am for,I'd say!You're a lucky fellow,and I remain ever jealous.