Friday, July 25, 2008

High and Lows

Busy day Thursday. After five hours sleep for the second or third night in a row I got up early for the bicycle ride on the Hiawatha trail. Gary picked me and my bicycle up at 6:15 am. Man! That's early!

We had a great bicycle ride. A clear dry day even if a cool start to the morning. I think it was in the low 50s F when we started the ride before 10 am. I'll try to write more and include pictures later.

For the ride it was me, Gary, and Joyce, as Bill and Sue Ann wanted to wait until September. It became a big mess when I was away hiking on Altyn Peak. I came home to numerous messages on my answering machine. Gary's pickup couldn't hold five bicycles like he thought, only four. He and Joyce came up with a secondary backup plan of also using Joyce's daughter's pickup, or I could have transported one bicycle in my car.

But Sue Ann had concerns about mud on the trail in the tunnels. We had rain the previous two nights (yay! as we need rain!) and she thought it would be wet in the tunnels. She wanted to wait until Fall. And apparently she had other issues with my planned trip. She and Bill convinced Gary and Joyce to cancel the trip and wait until Fall. However when I got home that was not an option. The trail closes the first few days of October, and Gary and I will be on the Alaskan cruise and then visiting relatives in September. So I was not happy with this change of events. Fall was out for me.

I told Gary and Joyce we do the trip now as I didn't think it would be possible later this year. If Bill and Sue Ann wanted to wait until Fall, fine, let them wait. I'm going now. They agreed to come with and we all three went.

Tonight I had one upset Sue Ann. She said she had tried to reach all three of us all day (though I had no messages on my answering machine until the one late this evening where she was ...upset). I called her back and we discussed the situation. She was not happy but the end result was: this was my trip, I put it together, and she was not canceling it on me.

Other irritations

When I came home I discovered both sides of the road that goes by my ranch and beyond has been bladed. The east side had a big gash. The County even ripped up Bib and Jan's lawn where it met the road. The west side did not have a large gash, and their lawns that went up to the road weren't touched. That is because Jan called the County and complained. A high level County road department official came out and apologized and spoke with the road grader operator.

Why was the County blading the ditches where it met the road? They told Jan they plan to repave it next week and they are scraping the grass away where it mets the current asphalt. Gee, it would been nice to know this ahead of time.

I then discovered my hayfield gate to the road was not attached correctly. It was leaning over and only attached by two of the four wires. One wire was broken and the other just laying there. I could see tire tracks in the grass where the Bonneville Power idiots drove over to the second tower and transmission line on my land. They couldn't have done whatever on Tuesday when they first came through. Probably now had to take photos of the second tower and line. Idiots. They are just idiots.

No comments: