Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bonneville Power idiots

I am not sure if I mentioned a few months ago that it appeared that someone from the Bonneville Power company drove through my hayfield under the transmission line. This was before my hay was cut. They drove to the south fence and then turned around. Why? Who knew! I could tell where they drove as the grass was flattened down from the vehicle's tires. Even now after cutting the grass for hay I can still see the tracks in the grass where the vehicle drove.

This evening after 5:30 pm, as I was in the hayfield gathering up stray pieces of hay not picked up by the baler, I seen a truck enter through my gate to the road. I walked over and reached them after they drove inside.

The two men said they were with Bonneville Power. I asked them why they were driving here. They said they were checking for trees. I told them they can obviously see I have no trees on my property under the power lines. They then said the headquarters in Oregon said they had to take photos as proof.

What? Apparently Bonneville Power doesn't trust their employees to say there are no trees on a property under the line.

I said they didn't need to drive their truck onto my property to take a photo. They said they had to follow the line. I then mentioned about someone from Bonneville driving and flattening my grass earlier. The older man said that was him and another guy. They cut down a tree under the power line that was on my neighbor's property to the south. Why drive on my property? Apparently he saw my gate and didn't bother to look for the neighbor's gate.

Now, he didn't drive through my south gate and onto the neighbor's property to cut the tree. He drove to my fence then got out and crawled through the fence to walk over to the tree. Now I understand why my fence had two strands twisted around each other. It was to create an opening for him to crawl through. Why he couldn't have walked from the road is a mystery. Lazy perhaps - which would explain why he didn't uncross the fence wires once he was done.

Bonneville had cut that tree several years ago. Apparently they can't do it right to make it last more than a couple years.

This guy got out his map of the transmission line that showed the line and fences and gates. My gate to the road is shown, but we didn't see a gate on his map on my south fence. That gate isn't even under the transmission line as my fences and gates predates when the power line was created. On his map he also couldn't find the gate to access the line from the neighbor's property. One of the towers is on that neighbor's land so Bonneville should have access to it via his property.

And one can't drive continuously under the power line through gates. If so, then one of the properties across the road from me would have a gate in their fence, and they don't. They also do not have a tower on their land. The towers are on property to the north of that property and that is where the gate is located even though that gate isn't under the power line.

The younger of the two guys told me that they come and check the line each year. He said it in a tone that was condescending.

Yes. And you don't think I know that? (Idiot)

After that I ignored this guy and let him stand, chew his tobacco, and spit while I talked with the older fellow who was in charge.

My point is that while they have access to their towers via the easement, that doesn't give Bonneville the right to drive all over my hayfield when they don't have to. Those lazy guys can get out of their vehicle and walk once in a while.

The older guy said they try not to damage hayfields and he will let the office know my concern. Ya, right. Especially when he was the one who flattened my grass when he didn't have to.

And another thing, they drive through the neighbors' fields with their knapweed, thistle and leafy splurge then drive on my field. No wonder I found weeds along the route they drove in my field this year.

My hay is cut so I let them be on their way as their truck was already through the gate. They stopped at the east tower and took a photo then continued on through my south gate and onto the neighbor's property.

And you know what? Some days later I noticed my gate along the road wasn't closed correctly and then saw more tracks where the grass was flattened. This time the tracks went to the other tower on my property. These guys weren't smart enough to take photos of both towers at the same time! Or they were doing things in a dumb and inefficient manner in order to make work for themselves and justify their jobs? And since I wasn't around this time they didn't close either gate properly. Good thing I hadn't let the cattle into the hayfield for the year.

Bonneville Power is not being a good neighbor and seems to be abusing their easement right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why don't you send that post to BPA c/o Steve Wright - his address is on their web site. Frankly just griping about it will never get to the important folks who might make the employees change.

By the way, oyu have some gorgeous photos.
AF