Friday, July 18, 2008

Picnic music: Can't Hardly Playboys

More blues style music was at Wednesday's Picnic in the Park concert series. The band was the Can't Hardly Playboys. The musicians seemed also to be members of other local bands. Their style was Delta Blues with some Americana tossed in. They played everything from Robert Johnson to Willie Dixon to Hank Williams to Bob Dylan to John Sebastien to Poco. Poco? The 70s soft rock band? Whatever. It was a nice change of pace.


The crowd was lighter than usual. Gary was there and we chatted for a while. He bought some raffle tickets. Since the crowd was light, the ticket seller was giving double tickets. I listened for the winning numbers while Gary ran an errand during intermission when the prizes were announced. He didn't win.

I chatted with a woman around my age, and her mother. They lived in the mountains near Kila. At 4300 ft elevation, and no neighbors for 12 miles. You could say... remote. They came in for the concert to get out and see people. The mother said she is a sculptor. I didn't get a chance to ask what she sculpts.

I asked if they had a ranch and she said she was done raising animals. She plans to grow and sell mushrooms. She has some good logs to use and said once she gets them established she can harvest the mushrooms off the logs for seven years. She already has some restaurants lined up as buyers.

Pella Windows, a sponsor of the concert, gave away bright yellow cloth bags. The bag came in handy for me as I was on my bicycle and had some stuff to carry.

No comments: