Monday, July 21, 2008

Garden and deer

Tonight I finished weeding my garden. My garden is pathetic. Hardly anything I planted came up.

I have:
  • 10 stalks of corn
  • 10 green bean plants
  • a dozen radishes
  • a dozen beets
  • 1 pea plant
  • a handful of carrots
  • a handful of green onions
  • 2 parsnips
The zucchini plants that I did not purposely plant are all up and doing the best of everything in the garden.

I found that 3 sunflower plants also came up on their own and were doing fine until the deer came and ate them. Tonight I found the deer hoof prints in the soft soil next to the little stalks that are left of the sunflowers.

What I was more upset with was the deer ate the leaves of the lower branches on one of my cherry trees. This was the only young fruit tree I had no fence around. I had taken the old broken fence down after having the cattle in the fruit tree area and had not put up a new fence.

A few other fruit trees had a simple couple strands of wire around them and the deer left those trees alone. I know deer can get through fences, but for some reason they won't go through these fences. So that saved a couple other fruit trees.

I placed two strands of wire around the cherry tree until I can select which of my fences I will use around this tree.

@#%* deer!

No comments: