Monday, July 07, 2008

Double jointed in the muck and the mud

This weekend while checking gopher traps I decided to check and count the cattle in the middle pasture. I found one heifer on the other side of the fence and in the south pasture.

*sigh*

The jail breaker was heifer #23 who was so well behaved before. Five other cattle were nearby on higher ground watching. They weren't smart enough to figure out how to cross the fence, else were better behaved.

#23 had crossed the fence in the low area near the river, an area that had water in lower spots, this being one of them. The fence was a three-strand barb wire and I found she is double jointed as she stepped through it without breaking it.

The grass is near belly high in the middle pasture, but in this low area by the river in the south pasture the grass is taller than her head. The grass is literally "taller" on the other side of the fence. *sheesh*

I crossed to the south pasture and found to reach the heifer I had to remove my shoes and socks because of the water and mud. Stepping gingerly I slowly made my way to #23. She was blissfully unaware and busy munching on the tall grass. Because of the tall grass she did not notice me until I was mere feet from her. Thankfully she is a mellow heifer and did not panic.

I moved slightly and told her to move and she then turned to move. If all the females in my life would listen and do what I ask. A little moving here and there and I directed her along the fence to the river. So far I hadn't seen where she had crossed - I was expecting a broken fence. After a few steps she turned and slipped through the fence. Her left leg caught the middle wire and pulled it off a fence post but she did not break the wire. She then went and joined the others on higher ground.

You'd think with the water, muck, and mud the cattle would not spent any time there. But they are like little boys and sometimes have to play in the water and mud.

I went and got supplies to fix the fence. Then, walking through the muck I reattached the wire to the post. I also added some new wire joining the strands to eliminate - or at least reduce - a repeat of her Houdini double jointed act.

It was hot and muddy and the sweat rolled. At least the sun kept the mosquitoes away.

I then went to count the cattle. In the sun and heat some were grazing and some were hiding in the shade. I literally mean hiding as they were in several areas with smaller pine trees that hid them. Eventually I found them all.

No comments: