Thursday, July 03, 2008

Bad beginning...

My day on Tuesday ended better than it began. Much better.

But first...

It rained early morning - sort of. We had enough rain for water to run off the roof, but only enough to merely settle the dust. More! More! I want more rain as it is so dry outside. It rained before I woke up, though I had awoken briefly just enough to hear water run off my roof. Then it rained mid morning again similarly. So much for our much needed moisture. At least my hay was not cut and laying in the field.

I decided to go uptown to get groceries and stuff. While I was uptown Dan finally showed up to pay for pasture. He had said he would be by last Thursday. Not only did I miss him, but he paid the wrong amount.

Then I had a phone message from Easter Seals in North Dakota through whom mom hires a bath aide. I was to call them about mom. Uh, oh.. that doesn't sound good. Mom is fine; what they called about was the insurance to pay for the bath aide. According to mom's AARP health supplement policy (policy I), mom pays Easter Seals, and then AARP reimburses mom.

I had talked to AARP before mom hired the bath aide and got a list of documentation they would need. They were now asking for something more. So much for getting the list prior to hiring the aide.

Easter Seals said they could not talk with AARP. AARP said they could not talk with Easter Seals. Each side claimed it was due to medical privacy laws. But AARP wanted info concerning mom's care that they would reimburse. So how does medical privacy prevent AARP from talking to Easter Seals directly? If AARP can talk with other health care providers, why not Easter Seals?

I had my brother scan and email the AARP letter. It is confusing and I will have to call them Wednesday. Oh, joy.

With the morning rain the afternoon was now humid and lousy. If I liked this type of weather I would move back to Minnesota. Our overnight low was 64 F!! That is 18 degrees above our average overnight low of 46 F.

Even though it was hot and humid, whenever I was in shade the mosquitoes would attack. They are desperate for my blood.

I have 7 pocket gopher traps and this afternoon I could only find 6. I knew I had a cluster of 4 near the road and now could only find 3. I walked around and around in the tall grass looking and looking for the 7th white milk jug that was a marker for the trap. No success. I climbed partway up one of the power line towers on my land and looked from a birds-eye view. Still could not see it. I did see plenty of white western salsify weeds that were now white seed puffballs.

Back on the ground I did a final search. I'll be blunt - I was in a pissed off mood. I started to think that someone came from the road and stole one of my markers and traps. Though, why they would bother with the marker - in my state of mind - who knew. If my mood could make grass grow - or wither - then that would have happened. I was not happy.

But then I found the milk jug marker. The pole had tipped over and it was laying in the tall grass.

Ok, so maybe someone didn't steal the marker and trap. But I spent a LONG time looking for it. So long that a trap that I moved and reset due to catching a pocket gopher, now had another newly killed pocket gopher in it.

Of course the more time I spent looking in the hayfield the more western salsify weeds I found. No matter that I had walked the field each of the past few days, there were plenty of seed pods ready to open to spread their seed. I filled my back pants pockets full of these seed pods so I could later toss them in the garbage. I should have worn a belt on my pants. The recent exercise I've been getting made me lose a little weight and soon my pants were dropping down.

*sigh*

So here I am walking in circles in tall grass. The grass pollen had been released making me sneeze. The air was hot and humid (for out here). I kept seeing weed pods when I wanted to see a white milk jug. The salsify has been called (incorrectly) milkweeds due to its white sap. I had pockets of sticky seeds pods. Putting the pods in my pants rubbed and aggravated my cut finger. And my pants were falling down.

Any wonder why my mood was not the best?

No comments: