Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bad day for my bicycle

Today I rode my bicycle to the Event at Rebbecca Farm to watch the horses compete. On the way to the Event one of my bicycle's spokes broke. I continued on with a rear wheel that was getting out of true as I rode.

After the Event I rode home. The Event is 7.5 miles from my place with the last mile on a gravel road. During my trip home, two hundred yards from the pavement, my rear tire went flat. I was so close! I had ridden over a sharp rock that caused a snake bite flat and a quick loss of air.

I walked and pushed my bicycle. At 3.6 mph. Later I jogged off and on. Between 7 and 8 mph according to my bicycle computer. A strong breeze was at my back so that made my walking and jogging easier.

The roads were narrow two lane - former country - roads with plenty of traffic. The picture may not show any vehicles, but trust me, there were more than I cared for.

I was a little under two miles from home when a little blue pickup stopped and the driver asked if I needed a ride. Yeah! I forgot his name now, but this little old guy gave me a ride home. Interestingly he said he had never been on the road that goes past my place.

I could have made it home fine as I was still feeling good, but it was nice to have a ride. I had covered the more-than-five miles in a about 1 hour fifteen minutes.

Once home I replaced the broken spoke and fixed the two punctures. Later tonight I noticed that my bicycle rack is broken. I'll fix that another day.

This has been a bad day for my bicycle.

No comments: