Thursday, May 01, 2008

Susan Hayward and Rawhide

Here is quote about Susan Hayward I found and liked. What a great quote. I have the same feeling about Susan Hayward. Ahh... to find a woman who makes me feel like this.
"A man could pound dreams into iron with a woman like that."

Lately I've been watching a number of movies with Susan Hayward in them and I am enchanted by her. She is beautiful and her hair has a life all its own.

Her movie characters are spunky, determined, bold and passionate. As someone else has described Hayward's acting style, 'she gives it her typical spitfire all from the get-go, her performance liberally punctuated with her signature eye-squints, chin-jerks and tit-thrusts.' A pleasure to watch.

I enjoyed the movie "Rawhide". Both because I like Westerns and also because of Susan Hayward's performance and look.

Not only did the six-shooters have more than six bullets, Hayward's tight white blouse never got dirty, even when crawling on the floor in an attempt to escape from her cell.

Jack Elam was a revelation in the movie. I knew him as a humorous character actor, but in "Rawhide" he was young, thin, and menacing. Quite a scary character, unlike any acting I had seen from him before.


Back to Susan Hayward, here are a few quotes from her:
"When you're dead, you're dead. No one is going to remember me when I'm dead. Oh maybe a few friends will remember me affectionately. Being remembered isn't the most important thing anyhow. It's what you do when you are here that's important."

"You aim at all the things you have been told that stardom means -- the rich life, the applause, the parties cluttered with celebrities. Then you find that you have it all. And it is nothing, really nothing. It is like a drug that lasts just a few hours, a sleeping pill. When it wears off, you have to live without its help."

"I never thought of myself as a movie star. I'm just a working girl. A working girl who worked her way to the top -- and never fell off."

No comments: