Friday, May 09, 2008

Save of a wasted trip and What is life?

A gloomy rainy day. I know we really need the rain, but...

Mom had another doctor visit today only to discover - after we had got to the doctor's office - that my brother wrote down the date wrong. On the calender he wrote the date as May 9 when it was actually on June 9. Great. On a rainy day the last thing we needed or wanted to do was travel in the rain.

We did get to ride on one of the buses the Commission on Aging borrowed to continue their support of people who needed a ride as their broken buses from yesterday are still in the repair shop. It was a very nice bus with nice seats and carpeting and a much smoother ride. Too bad this isn't one of the Aging's regular buses. Even the bus driver is lamenting the day when he has to return this bus.

Mom had a blood drawn early this morning as we thought she had a doctor's appointment. At least the nurse came here to do the blood drawn as one must fast 12 hours and have the blood drawn early in the morning. Getting up early is difficult for mom due to the pain she has at that time of the morning.

Since the business where mom got her power chair was in the same building we stopped there. Kelly will look into getting a longer armrest for the non-joystick armrest. The current one is too short and mom is unable to use it to brace herself in getting up from and sitting back into the power chair.

What saved our trip from being a total waste was my request for the doctor to change mom's prescription from Crestor to Zocor or something else with a generic equivalent. At $101.72 for a 30 day supply, no wonder mom's med costs topped $1000 a month. The doctor wanted to wait until mom's appointment next month before deciding to switch her from Crestor and instead gave mom a 30 day supply from his supply of samples from the drug company.

The nurse called me after I got home to tell me she had the Crestor for mom. I drove back up there in my brother's pickup. The pickup idled so low today that the pickup would die. Unfortunately the pickup is a manual transmission and it would die when the ground was not level. Always there would be another vehicle close to me making it a coordination challenge to start the pickup without running into the vehicles around me.

After getting the Crestor, and on the way out of the building, one of my pet peeves reared it's ugly head: women who don't hold the door open for the person behind them. Many a time I had a door slam into me or others because the woman in front only thought about herself and not about who followed her. We need more women's lib and have their consciousnesses raised to have consideration for others. Men holding doors open for women are spoiling women as they don't seem to believe in equality and returning the favor.

I knew by the way the woman made sure she exited the elevator in front of me that she would be like many women and would only hold the door open long enough to slip through and would then let the door fall back into whomever was behind her. She did. But this building had a double set of doors. What she then did was step aside, and after I held the door open for the young woman holding a baby carrier and entering the building, the woman who had stepped aside quickly walked through the door blocking the woman with the baby carrier from entering. She wanted to make sure she got through the door while I held it open.

As I drove home on wet roads under low clouds and gloomy skies I turned on the radio and was cheered up. George Harrison's song, "What is Life?" came on the radio. (Here is a great youtube video of the song)

From the first fuzzy chords I recognized one of my favorite seldom heard songs. How can one not see promise of good things to come when hearing those chords, then galloping beat with tambourine and horns with George proclaiming his love. I cranked the radio up loud.

What I feel, I can't say
But my love is there for you anytime of day
But if it's not love that you need
Then I'll try my best to make everything succeed

Tell me, what is my life without your love
Tell me, who am I without you, by my side

What I know, I can do
If I give my love now to everyone like you
But if it's not love that you need
Then I'll try my best to make ev'rything succeed

Tell me, what is my life without your love
Tell me, who am I without you, by my side
Tell me, what is my life without your love
Tell me, who am I without you, by my side

What I feel, I can't say
But my love is there for you any time of day
But if it's not love that you need
Then I'll try my best to make everything succeed

Tell me, what is my life without your love
Tell me, who am I without you, by my side
Oh tell me, what is my life without your love
Tell me, who am I without you, by my side

What is my life without your love
Tell me, who am I without you, by my side

(fade:)
Oh tell me, what is my life without your love
Tell me who am I without you by my side

Who cannot feel good with a song and lyrics like this? The song got me thinking of women I have loved, including one who I chatted with last night. Women do make a man's life better, even if they can annoy, upset, and disappoint us.

With I like all the Beatles for various reasons, I believe I like George Harrison best of all. He seemed to be the everyman of the group. He seemed open and curious, friendly and caring, and searching for more out of life than mere personal possessions.






Other than that, my lack of food the past few days caught up to me as I feel tired and without energy today.

No comments: