Friday, May 02, 2008

My Foolish Heart

Recently I watched the movie, "My Foolish Heart" starring Susan Hayward. I liked it. The movie is a 1949 WWII "woman's movie" romantic melodrama. In others words, if the movie would be made today: a chick flick. The difference being is that movies in the 1940s have a plot and dialog and were not just about 'meeting cute' and showing skin.

The plot:
After a long absence, Mary Jane visits her schoolfriend Eloise, and Eloise's daughter Ramona. Eloise is unhappily married to Lew Wengler. Eloise falls asleep and remembers her time with her true love, Walt Dreiser, at the beginning of the Second World War. She recalls the events that lead up to her split with Mary Jane, and how Lew married Eloise rather than Mary Jane.
My other surprise was how much I liked Susan Hayward. I had seen her in a few other movies such as "With a Song in My Heart" and "The Snows of Kilimanjaro". Susan is very beautiful.

The following photo from the movie shows Susan Hayward's character and her true love, Walt Dresier, played by Dana Andrews. I believe this is when Walt is defending Eloise's dress to Miriam. Look at the joy and admiration in Hayward's eyes. This is acting.

As I have mentioned in the past, part of the reason I like older movies is the dialog is better than in today's movies. Here is some of the dialog that I jotted down from the movie and added to the imdb web site info about the movie.

Susan Hayward = Eloise Winters
Dana Andrews = Walt Dreiser, her love interest
Mary Jane = Eloise's best friend

    Eloise: I was a good girl once.

    The following is a in-joke between Walt and Eloise and each says it to the other throughout the movie when something sad has, or is about to, happen:

    Poor Uncle Wiggily.


    Mary Jane:
    [referring to Miriam Ball, a rival in the women's college dorm, when phone call after phone call is for her] She must advertise in locker rooms.

    Eloise: Just two puffs on a cigarette and I'll be happy.

    Eloise: [referring to Walt's apartment the first time she sees it] This room has a split personality. This half is so clean and ... this half is so ... it must have taken years to accumulate this mess.

    Eloise's date: [talking about another woman] Well, I don't think I could hit a woman.
    Eloise: Well, try it sometimes. It's a wonderful feeling.

    Eloise: [to Lewis, her date] You dance with Mary Jane. I'm going to smoke a Parliament.

    The following line is when Eloise was upset about her brown and white dress and a comment Miriam Ball made about it. Eloise is from Boise, Idaho and when she bought the dress she was assured it was what the women in New York were wearing. Miriam had disparaged the dress.

    Eloise: [to Walt] Does it look awfully "Boisey" to you?


    After his seduction attempt fails, Walt tells Eloise:

    Walt: May I kiss you the way I would a rich and loathsome aunt?


    Eloise's dad:
    These skyscrapers are magnificent. I'll take these over mountains in Idaho any day.

    Eloise's dad: Well, I'm from the West. He'll expect me to be gruff.

    Eloise: Can't I stay dad?
    Eloise's dad: This will be man to man talk. You never know what language will be used.

    Eloise's parents are in town as Eloise was kicked out of college because she was caught after hours in her dormitory hallway with Walt. Her mother is in hysterics and spends most of her time in the bathroom wailing.

    Eloise's dad: [to Walt] I'm afraid son she's an outraged mother.

    Eloise's dad: [to Walt] Don't worry about Mrs. Winters. We have a large house with 5 bathrooms.


    Mary Jane: Oh, it's such a good idea having men in this world, isn't it?

    Eloise: If I said what I felt, I'd start to cry. And I won't cry in a cocktail lounge.

    Another in-joke is the word 'aristocratic'. Walt first uses it in a line when trying to seduce young and naive Eloise. She initially believes it and after asking him more about it realizes it is just a seduction line. Later whenever Walt wants to pay her a complement, but in a light way, he uses 'aristocratic' to describe one of her features: ear, nose, eyes.

    Walt: Know what darling?
    Eloise: What?
    Walt: You have such aristocratic eyes, even if they are filled with tears.

    Walt: I do love you El. I'll tell you twice so you don't have to ask me again. I love you.

    [last line]
    Mary Jane: That's all right. After all - I could have been the girl in the brown and white dress. Anyone could have.

No comments: