Friday, May 02, 2008

County bureaucrats

I had an irritating encounter with a county bureaucrat this afternoon and we both knew we were getting on each other's nerves. I don't suffer fools gladly when they have responsibilities. I get annoyed when the only reason they have this job is because it is a government job. Don't throw jargon at me and get annoyed when I ask you to explain it and acronyms. Don't cut me off and tell me 'this is how they say it is to be done' when I am asking why and trying to understand. And who are 'they'?

It was 4 pm on a Friday and I caught her looking at the clock. By the end of our meeting she was clearing her desk and putting stuff into the drawers.

This is the first time I met Nancy but I'm sure she knew from the tone of my voice I was growing irritated. I was looking for help for my mother and while I knew that Ward County has a Personal Care Service program to help the elderly and disabled, I have no idea of how it works or the eligibility requirements. Nancy wasn't much help as her people skills were poor. I finally was able to determine a list of information to gather for her to determine eligibility. She had to search for a pen for me to write this information down. I believe she was afraid I would walk off with it as she gave me a crappy pen.

Then I found out I got the date wrong and missed the University Choir concert. It was last night - not tonight. I was looking forward to it.

I'm in 'a mood', for this and more that happened today.

No comments: