Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bicycle Eclectic

A gorgeous day today! A light breezy at 5 mph under a sunny sky with a temperature of 67 F. The only clouds are white puffy clouds hanging around the mountain tops.

The mountains are mostly capped in white. June 1 of last year Gary, Joyce, and I hiked to the top of Mt. Aneneas. There was only a few spots of snow seen from the Valley then with lots of snow when we hiked up there. Not this year! I see lots and lots of snow on those mountains. It still could be a great hike under a sunny sky and warm temperatures, but one would definitely would have to wear footwear for walking on snow.

With the nice weather here the women are dressing for summer. Less clothes. Shorts, etc. Nice. On my ride uptown I saw a young woman in shorts and halter top riding a cruiser bicycle and going the other direction. She caught me eye. I guess the right woman will pique my interest even when I am immersed in getting back into a routine here and don't really have the interest in the opposite sex until I get settled again.

Friday I rode my bicycle uptown and visited the Hockaday Museum. Friday and Saturday the museum is having Community Days when people can visit the museum for free.

One of the exhibitions is "Bicycle Eclectic". This exhibition is a series of black and white photos along with a description of people bicycling long distances who had stopped in at the Adventure Cycling organization's headquarters in Missoula, Montana. (At the risk of showing my age, I remember when this organization was called Bikecentential.) The photos were taken starting in 1982 to the present.

The photos were of one or more people and a bicycle they were riding loaded with their touring gear. They are neat photos and show a variety of people, reasons for their bicycle trip, and their story.

If you following the Hockaday Museum link and see the photo for Bicycle Eclectic, this guy pictured, and holding a push lawn mower, brought it with him and earned money cutting lawns as he rode across America.

One man from Missoula, Montana had ridden from Anchorage, Alaska to somewhere in Montana almost annually for the past twenty years. The few years he didn't ride from Alaska, he rode a long distance ride elsewhere. 57,000 miles ridden during this time. His "photo" was a series of a half dozen photos of him taken over the past twenty years.

The museum also had a wooden life size model of a mountain bicycle equipped with wooden knobby tires. That was neat.

I also checked out the other exhibitions. A few were related to Montana, Indians, and Glacier Park, and others were abstract art and I didn't catch the connection to Montana. I wasn't too impressed with the other exhibitions. Then again, a non-bicyclist may not be all that impressed with the Bicycle Eclectic exhibition.

Now, after seeing this exhibit did I get the itch to go on another long distance bicycle ride? No. Being here in Kalispell satisfies me and I don't have the urge to wander. Besides I have the outlet of hiking.

No comments: