Saturday, May 17, 2008

Confidence, cattle, rivers, and judging

What is it about a suddenly very warm Summer day? For me, it gives me extra energy, raises my testosterone level, puts a spring in my step, and fills me with so much confidence that it oozes out of my body. I mean, I am a confident person, but in an indirect way. I am not a direct person. Friday afternoon as I ran errands on a very warm sunny windy day, I stood taller, walked purposefully, and spoke directly. While not a common way of expressing myself, it still felt natural and good. There was no thinking and debating, just doing. Look out world, I can do anything and I'm doing it now. 'Come here woman. Kiss me.'

Too bad I can't bottle that feeling and always have it.

Also Friday afternoon Dan called me from Montana. He said he had gotten this felling that I am never coming back and he couldn't shake it. Dan's wife told Dan to call me. In his defense, I have been gone for a very long time. Dan pastures cattle on my place and plans to do so again this year. I have a train ticket and return date and I let him know that.

We talked cattle and cattle prices, hay prices, weather, and what not. Last month Dan sold my northern neighbor two heifers to raise for beef. They had wanted only one heifer but Dan warned them that cattle are social animals and one on its own does not do well. Dan said the neighbor burnt his pasture off last month before getting the cattle.

On the local TV news Friday night there was a segment about cattle. Watching the cattle I miss having them.

It is warm here as the temperature was 80 F Friday. Dan said it was near 80 F there. The forecast is for the temperature to be near 90 F today in Kalispell. The river is 540 CFS and steadily rising. A week ago it was 300 CFS. With all the snow left to melt the government is forecasting flooding of low areas in the Flathead Valley and NW Montana. My river is suppose to crest, but not flood, in a little over a week and just before I return home.

I also heard from the election department in Flathead County. I served as an election judge in 2006 and the officials wanted me as a judge again this year. In fact they wanted me to be the chief election for the precinct I worked in 2006. Apparently only half my 2006 team is returning this year. A problem is this year's training session was this past Wednesday and naturally I was unable to attend. I turned down the chief election judge position, but would like to be an election judge again this year. Especially as it should be exciting since Montana's Democratic primary is being held June 3. I guess I'll see what happens once I return to Montana.

No comments: