Monday, May 26, 2008

Sitting close in a pickup

The other day I saw a sight I don't see much anymore: a woman sitting right next to man driving a pickup. I mean right next to him. There was room for at least three more people in that pickup's cab.

When I was younger that was a common sight. Now I do a double take as I rarely see it happening anymore. Today two people sit at opposite sides of the cab with room for about three people between them. Why is that? A few reasons I can think of are:
  • I think it is mainly due to seat belts. That is what is keeping lovers apart. One has to sit on each side of the pickup cab to use a seatbelt. Yes, there usually is a seatbelt in the middle, but using it still doesn't allow a woman to sit right next to her man.
  • Perhaps it may not be cool for a woman to sit so close to her man. Everyone wants their space and independence now a days.
  • many cars do not have 'bench' seats anymore in the front seat. Pickups may be the last vehicles to have a single seat. Couple are out of practice in sitting close together when driving.
  • People don't go to drive-in movies anymore where there is a reason to sit next to one another.
  • Economic independence. When I was younger and this behavior more common, many young women didn't have a vehicle and depended on their boyfriend to drive. Now with most women owning and driving their own vehicles, there is less of sitting close. A man will not sit right next to his girlfriend as she drives. A man just doesn't do that. With feminism and women taking on more behaviors of men, the women today take their cue from men and then sit like them when the man drives - on the other side of the cab.
Well, for the couples I see sitting so close together... good for them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dang, and I wanted to see drive-ins make a comeback..but the equation may be
dvds + home theaters + no benchseats = total death of drive-ins.

I remember in high school I was walking downtown and noticed two guy friends drive by and THEY were sitting right next to each other in a bench seat...turned out a third friend was playing a practical joke and ducked down under the seat for the length of main street!