Monday, November 13, 2006

Windy day

It was a very windy day today: from before I woke up, to after sunset. 15-25 mph with gusts to 40 mph. The wind caused some damage around town and was the news story of the day. I know wind speeds like this are no big deal to people in Minnesota and North Dakota, but out here winds like this are unusual.

The wind even blew over my cattle head gate and it is heavy. (I know, I need to get to rebuilding the loading corral and installing the head gate).



Another odd event occurred this morning. Over the weekend I had cleaned up my patio. I put stuff away I had left there all year, and also put other stuff away for the winter. (Lots of cleaning and sorting). I had some grocery bags with wood chips. The birds had pecked large holes in two of the bags. The chips spilled out of the bags and all over the patio floor.

I cleaned up the mess and put the chips in new paper grocery bags. I put several bags in the garage and left one bag by the steps to the house as I decided to use the chips as fire starting material in my wood stove. I am sure I left the bag there, and am sure I saw it this morning when I stepped outside at 10 am.

45 minutes later I went outside to get some firewood for my wood stove and noticed the bag was gone. I had put a small piece of wood on the top of the chips and now I found the piece of wood laying on the ground nearby where the bag had been. The bag and chips were gone. No, the wind did not blow the bag over and away as there were no chips scattered about anywhere. I am sure - or fairly sure - I had left the bag by the steps and did not later move it to the garage.

I have a shovel next to the bag and the shovel and everything else of 'value' was still there. I never noticed anyone driving up to the house, nor saw wheel tracks in the wet ground.

The bag didn't blow away, and why would someone walk up from the road to steal a bag of wood chips and nothing else? Maybe I need to re-check the number of bags in the garage. Could I have put the bag in the garage then forgot I did so? Yikes! Am I have an 'old age moment'?

No comments: