Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you got your fill of turkey and good company.

I had a nice thanksgiving meal with Sue Ann, Bill, and his wife Marianne. Sue Ann invited us over to her house. Sue Ann provided the turkey and trimmings; Bill provided a home made apple cranberry nut pie. I brought wine. No, not my beet wine. I brought a wine Sue Ann likes, Arbor Mist. Not that she doesn't like my wine; she has never tried it.

I should have taken my camera along as Sue Ann used her nice china and everything looked so nice on the table.

While Sue Ann and Marianne washed the dishes and Bill carved the rest of the turkey, I went over to Sue Ann's neighbor's house to feed their horses. Sue Ann does that when the neighbors are away. Sue Ann told me to give each of the horses three pieces of the hay bale. What she neglected to say was three pieces of a half a hay bale. I fed them the whole hay bale. Sue Ann was worried I overfed the horses and they would get sick from over eating. Bill and I reassured her the horses wouldn't get ill from eating a full bale of hay, they'd be happy.

Bill also brought me a piece of his home made gooseberry pie. He has a number of gooseberry plants and makes pies from their berries. Every since I joined the hiking group we have been trying to get together so I can have a piece of his special made pie.

Marianne asked if I wore contacts as she saw something in my eyes when she looked from the side and the light was right. No, just my new implanted lenses after cataract surgery. A number of people have commented on this so I am now curious as to what it actually looks like. And, no, they are not flirting with me.

Our group's Elk Mountain hike is off for tomorrow. Joyce said there is at least a half foot of snow on that trail. It looks like that hike will be put off till next year as the mountain snow is very unlikely to melt before late Spring.

This morning before the thanksgiving meal I split some of the wood I brought from the pasture the other day. I split the smaller easier to split logs and cleaned up the area a little bit. Snow is in the forecast, and any substantial snow is likely to remain till next year. No fun looking under the snow for logs to split.

I also dug up the rest of my onions and beets. I filled a five gallon pail and a two gallon pail with beets. So I will be eating beets all winter.

I also dug up enough carrots to fill a five gallon pail. I have enough carrots still in the ground to fill at least four more five gallon pails. I didn't have time to dig more carrots so I quickly covered them with plastic and a tarp in case the predicted snow tonight actually occurs. Last year I got caught flatfooted and my carrots were buried under a foot of snow. The snow fell before the ground froze so it acted as an insulator, but after the snow melted in the Spring it rotted the tops of the carrots. Hopefully I will get a chance to dig more carrots tomorrow, then cover them with straw before re-covering them with plastic and a tarp. Then I will have fresh carrots in the Spring.

No comments: