Monday, November 27, 2006

Snow and wind

Starting yesterday afternoon the snow started falling heavily and the cold air spilled over the Continental Divide and mountain passes to come roaring down into the Valley. It snowed, and wind blew all night.

Today the snow stopped but the wind kept blowing. The snow blew into snow drifts. I felt like I was back in North Dakota or Minnesota with the wind and cold. Our high temperature today was only 10 F. Brrrr...!! Especially with the wind and wind chill which made it feel like it was well below zero. We have a wind chill warning in effect until tomorrow.

Sue Ann told me the storm blew over a dead birch tree at 4 am this morning. The tree fell onto the roof of the 100 year old cabin next to the house she is renting. The tree also blocks her driveway.

With the wind and cold my screen door frosted over.


The wind blew my wind chimes down, and also my U.S. flag. But my icicles survived the wind.



My neighbor John came over with his pickup and plow and plowed my driveway for me. I had to shovel the snow in front of my garage myself. I also shoveled part of the front drive as, under the snow, John couldn't tell where my driveway was. I decided to shovel the snow off the one track rather than drive with one wheel on my yard.

You can see the snow is gone from the barn roof. It had been melting the other day and sliding down the roof but the wind must have blown the rest away.



Swan Mountain range today and snow drifts.



Another beautiful sunset... but cold!



Then back inside to my wood stove and warmth!

No comments: