Thursday, November 23, 2006

Pumpkin paste

It's about time I cook up my garden's pumpkins, and today I started. The pumpkins have been sitting on my floor long enough. I took this photo some weeks ago. The greenish pumpkins have now all turned a nice orange color.


When cooking my pumpkin I use this spoon to stir the kettle. Hmmm... guess I should have put a tablespoon next to this spoon to give you an idea how large this spoon is.

I got this spoon when I was in Chiang Mai, Thailand in the 1990s. This spoon, my Calvin & Hobbes tshirt, and a few bottles of Sang Thip Thai whiskey are items I fondly remembering purchasing in Thailand.

In Thailand one doesn't pay the asking price as one is expected to bargain for the item. A woman in the group I was traveling with found and purchased this spoon. Upon seeing the spoon I had to get one also. The bargaining was easy as I said I would only pay the same price as what she had paid. That way I avoided minutes of back and forth haggling.



Here is a photo of my last bottle of Sang Thip Thai whiskey. I have a partial bottle left after more than 10 years. It is good whiskey. I had drunk lots of it in Thailand as one shouldn't drink the water. Pop is the other liquid to drink, but pop doesn't go with a nice meal. On a nice, hot and humid night in Thailand, Sang Thip sure tasted good.

The Sang Thip still tastes smooth. I had a sip tonight after taking this photo.

This is the strainer I use to take my cooked pumpkin paste and turn it into paste.


Here is what the pumpkin paste looks like after I cooked it and ran it through my strainer. I filled seven 8 ounce plastic containers. That is about 21 cups, or enough for 10 pies or 10 loafs of pumpkin bread.

I have enough pumpkins left for at least two more 'batches' of paste. Enough to last me all year.

No comments: