Monday, November 06, 2006

Trespass, broken handle and sunlight photos

This morning I saw someone come onto my property by crawling through the south pasture fence. I had noticed him earlier walking in the field south of my hayfield, then south of my pasture heading towards the trees and the river. I guess he tired of walking through the tall grass in the field south of my pasture.

I grabbed my coat and headed to my south pasture and the river. I couldn't find him on my property. My guess is he crossed back to the field once he reached the trees. Hmph.

An all weather day: clouds, rain, sun. When it was nicer I went for a 15 mile bicycle ride. Afterwards I split a number of logs into firewood. One log unexpectedly was dense, hard, whatever. It didn't want to split and just absorbed the ax. Why this log acted this way out of all of them I have no idea. I kept at it and ended up breaking the ax handle where it goes into the ax/maul. I shaved the ax handle so it would again fit into the ax head and reinserted it. A shorter ax handle won't stop me. I have logs to split. This time I used a sledgehammer to drive the ax's head through the dense log. No broken handle this time.

Found a fresh pocket gopher dirt mound in the corral near the barn. *argh!* Where did he come from as I've trapped them out all near the area?! I had gotten a pocket gopher in the hayfield this morning so I moved that now empty trap back to the corral.

This afternoon Kelly took a break from working on his new house to come, set up his deer stand, and watch for deer. I didn't get a chance to speak with him before he left as to what he had seen.

When the sun came out late afternoon I took a photo of one of my buildings. (You know, if I paint it, the building will lose it's charming rustic look.)

This Spring I had written about rebuilding part of my corral fence. In today's sunlight I took a photo of it. I had also taken a photo of the fence a few weeks ago. I've included both photos as I'm not sure which photo I prefer.

No comments: