Friday, November 17, 2006

Limbing trees

A beautiful sunny day with warm (40s F) temperatures. A great day for outside work. Today I worked on limbing a number of dead trees in my pastures. I plan to later cut up some of these trees for firewood for this winter.

While it may appear I have some neo-luddite tendencies, the truth is that I decided to get some exercise and use a couple of saws that I have, and not use my chainsaw. Here is one of my saws. Doesn't it look pretty? This saw cuts very good. "My, what large teeth you have!"


The following tree had fallen this summer. It was one of five dead trees next to one another; and each year another tree falls. This one fell on my middle/south pasture fence. It doesn't show being on the fence as I had cut the part that lay on the fence before I took this photo. If you look on the right side under the pine tree branches you can see where the tree stretched the top barb wire.


After I finished the first tree I went over to a tree in the middle of the middle pasture to finish limbing that one. I had limbed part of it this Spring between burning tree stumps. This was one of the five trees the windstorm from a few summers ago knocked down. As you can see the tree fell onto its branches. I had left it to dry out without worries of the trunk rotting by laying on the ground.



After the second tree was limbed I worked on another tree from that same windstorm. This tree is in the south pasture. I limbed half of this tree before calling it quits for the day. The sun was working its way behind the trees and I was tired from cutting branches. Besides I had an errand to run before dark and 15 miles to ride on my bicycle. Good thing my legs are what gets a workout when riding my bicycle. My arms have had it for today.

While the temperature was only in the low-to-mid 40s F, after all my cutting worked I was soaked in a sweat. Tomorrow is another hike... good thing my arms aren't needed for hiking.

Photos of my pasture as I walked home after an afternoon of limbing trees.

The first photo is in my south pasture and on the right side you can see where the trail the cattle made this year in going from the hayfield to the river.

The other two photos are also from my south pasture and show the pasture and the mountains in white.



As I walked home the sun was setting through my pasture trees.

No comments: