Thursday, November 02, 2006

Birds, deer, etc.

Today I noticed the birds had come back. For the first few days after Sunday's snow storm I had noticed the absence of birds. Snow muffles sounds making it sound quieter, but even so I still noticed the lack of wildlife sounds and sights the previous days.

Today I noticed the birds near the base of the trees where the snow is melting and the grass is showing. The birds were finding something to eat as they were picking at stuff in the grass. Then a magpie came and the smaller birds left. The magpie strutted over to where I have a few sunflower heads on my entry porch. It would take a shell or two over to a spot further from the house, then pick at it to open it to get at the sunflower seed inside. After it opened a few shells I shooed it away. Something about magpies annoys me.

In the snow I noticed deer tracks around the yard. They hopped the fence to check out my garden and fruit trees. I realize now that I forgot to fence my nectarine tree that I had bought this year. On my to-do list once the ground thaws.

Today I heard the livestock auction report from last week's sale. The prices for heifer in my weight category is down from when I sold my heifers. Good thing I sold my heifers when I did.

Sun and 30 F today. I went on a 15 mile bicycle ride. I wore my bicycling shoes today and by the end of my ride my toes were chilly. These shoes were not made for freezing weather.

No comments: