Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Pocket gopher photos

I've talked of trapping my pocket gophers, but the other day realized I hadn't shown any photos of these pests.

The first group of photos are of a pocket gopher after I trapped and killed it. Notice the method is bloodless. Since it appears their tunnels are only about as wide as their body, I don't know why they have such long whiskers.

The side view photo makes the front half appear larger. I think this due to the angle of the photo, and because the wire snare caught and squeezed the gopher in the middle.

My, what small ears!



Notice the long claws on the front legs versus the back legs. Also their mouth can be closed and still have two teeth protruding outside of their mouth. The better to dig with as they use their claws and teeth. If you remember, last year I was bitten by one of these pocket gophers when I reached in the tunnel to clear it of dirt and grass before placing the trap in the tunnel. Fortunately nothing serious happened due to the bite.



I use the Victor blackhole trap. The company apparently has discontinued this trap, redesigned it, and replaced it with the Victor blackbox trap.

Of my six blackhole traps, and the hundreds of pocket gophers I have trapped over the years, only one trap broke. The part that broke was the plastic holder that holds the knob in place (yet allows it to swing triggering the snare) where it comes though the hole and out of the top of the trap. The part that broke was the reason the company redesigned the trap. I learned this after I called the company in search of a replacement part.

Instructions on how to set and use the trap.

I highly recommend this trap for catching pocket gophers. As you can see on my blog's sidebar, I have caught hundreds of pocket gophers over the years using this trap.

The milk jug on the steel post is how I mark and find my traps out in the pasture. It eliminated my wandering around my pastures like an idiot looking for all my traps.





Any here is how it looks when a pocket gopher is caught in the trap.



Any questions?

No comments: