Thursday, November 09, 2006

Eye checkup

Today I had my follow-up cataract eye checkup. The doctor I was scheduled to see was called out of town today and the clinic switched me over to Dr. Meislik.

After Tracy, his assistant, checked my eyes ("Does number 3 or number 4 look better? Does number..."), she put drops in my eyes to dilate them. The vision check shown that my one eye stayed at 20/30 and the other is now 20/200.

The doctor came in to look at my eyes, and after a short break so he could take a phone call, he told me that my eyes look very good. I asked if what looked good was my eyes, or my new eye lens? I can't say all parts of my eyes are mine any more. A few times since the cataract surgery, if someone else is sitting in a certain spot in relation to me, and the light is just right, they can see my new plastic eye lens shine in my eyes. I can't see it, but then I am looking at the lens from a different angle.

The doc told me both my eyes and lens look good. My eyes look healthy. There is no sign of a secondary cataract. That is good and bad. Good that I don't have a secondary cataract; bad in that young as I am, a secondary probably will eventually develop - once I past this year and have to start all over again on my health insurance's deductible.

The doc gave me a prescription for glasses to sharpen my long distance vision. It should also help with night vision as my vision now gets a little blurry at night.

No comments: