Sunday, November 05, 2006

Bicycle helmets more dangerous

Here is the full BBC article.

Interestingly the study also shows motorists give a wider berth to bicyclists they believe are female.

When riding at night and I have my bicycle lights on, I've noticed a similar effect to Mr. Walker's study. Cars will pass me far closer than when I don't have my lights on. Without lights they are unsure of me and give me a wider berth. I feel safer.

Other data (going back to 1927) in Great Britain has shown an increase in cycling deaths due to head injuries after a 1990s law mandating bicycle helmets was enacted when previously the deaths had been on a long decline since 1934.

An Australian study indicates that in places that have mandated bicycle helmet use, head injuries have not declined.

A 2001 New York Times article wrote about the increase in injuries while helmet use increased.

Wikipedia has excellent, though long, article on bicycle helmet use.

In the U.S. we have a long history of defining something as a problem and wanting to 'fix' it even though we are not experts or even knowledgeable about it. For an example, lately I've noticed a new campaign about infant car seats. The seats are being redesigned because they are not working as promoted, and now there are clinics on how to strap the infant properly in to the infant seat. Turns out the infant seats are not 'fixing' the problem they were suppose to.

I expect those friends who tell me I should wear a bicycle helmet, to now stop doing so.

No comments: