Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sanding the living room walls

Now that the living room walls have been cleaned and mudded (see previous post: http://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2012/09/preparing-to-paint-living-room.html), Tammy and I got down to sanding the walls on Monday, September 3.

Boy, what a mess we made!

Tammy didn't want to use the pole with sandpaper so I borrowed a sander from one of my neighbors.  Tammy used the sander and I used the pole with sandpaper.

Two photos.  One without and one with a flash.  The flash shows how much dust was in the air.



I had the windows and doors open and two fans going to blow the dust outside.

Tammy in action.



...until Tammy got tired of me taking pictures.



When we started I saw how much dust flew and I quickly covered the electronic equipment.  What I should have done was to pick up all the small stuff, and move that and anything else I could outside before we started to sand.  When the sanding was done I ended up taking most of the uncovered stuff outside and blowing or wiping the dust off.



It took hours to clean up our mess.  I was cleaning until 12:30 am and then took a hour or so the next morning to finish the last of it.


I don't have a shop-vac and had to use an old vacuum cleaner.  The dust took a toll on the vacuum cleaner.  Because I would lose suction power I had to stop and empty it numerous times even though it was nowhere near full.

Here is how bad the vacuum cleaner sounded when I was done.  17 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTIDriL-cU8&feature=youtu.be


31 second video of Tammy sanding the wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDh9Ufonz50&feature=youtu.be


The following photo shows a couple of walls when we were done sanding and cleaning.  The swirls still could be seen in some areas but hopefully the paint will cover them.



While I had thought we would be all done re-painting the living room easily by the end of the Labor Day weekend, this is as far as we got.  Would the rest of this project go smooth, or would we - as usual - run into more stuff to delay the completion?  Stay tuned.

No comments: