Thursday, September 13, 2012

Oopps... wrong sex

Oopps.   Today I saw Baby peeing.  Baby is not a boy... Baby is a girl!

I had doubts as I never really saw his penis. When Dan was here to look over the cattle before we sent them to the livestock auction I asked him about Baby's sex.  He saw Baby as seen in the following photo and he kidded me about having trouble telling a boy from a girl.  Obviously he is a boy.


And she does look like a boy with the fur and skin hanging down.  After I told Dan baby is a girl, he told me that some heifers don't have a smooth belly because of a big navel. 

Dang.  A girl.  I had hopes Baby was a boy as steers grow bigger faster and are worth more money.  And I wanted the experience on how to band him to turn him from a bull calf to a steer.

Today when Momma was by the fence eating a half dozen apples I tossed for her, Baby interrupted her nap and came over.  She sniffed and licked one apple.  She wasn't able to eat it.

Momma must have taught Baby not to cross the fence to play in the road.  I have seen them by the road fence a number of times and Baby always stays in the hayfield - even when the neighbor's cattle are across the road in their pasture.

Today's video of Baby is 49 seconds long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55IuU4A7rlo&feature=youtu.be

No comments: