Friday, September 14, 2012

Pulling a sandpoint

Saturday August 23 Wyatt brought his tractor over to help me pull the pipe from the ground for my corral well.

I had dug around the pipe for about three to four feet and the pipe was in the ground solid.  As you can see the 26 and a half inches inside the concrete casing is not much room to dig.  The bottom of the concrete casing is six feet down.


Wyatt and I were both surprised when his tractor couldn't pull the pipe out of the ground.  The back of the tractor started to go up off the ground when he pulled on the pipe.


So we tried another option. We rested the bucket on the concrete casing for leverage and attached the chain to the top of the hydraulic lift.  We opened the grabber arm Wyatt has made for his restored tractor.  It looked the only thing that happened was the chain slack was tightened up.  We tried over and over and finally it appeared the pipe was coming up out of the ground a little bit.  We tried lifting the bucket but still the pipe wouldn't move.  After a few more efforts using the hydraulic lift Wyatt was finally able to pull the pipe all the way out of the ground.


As the pipe came out of the casing water leaked from the pipe.  Like a little boy taking a pee.   The sandpoint is the bottom three foot pipe.  A coupler attached the sandpoint to an eight foot pipe.  The coupler had rusted through and that was where the leak was.  At least there is water down there.

Here is the sandpoint.  Plugged.  I took a metal punch and poked open a few holes and water ran out.  The holes had tiny screens.  It appears the bottom six inches of the pipe is filled with sediment.


Since I had Wyatt's tractor here I had him lift the top concrete casing off so I can access the well easier.



I've been busy but I have taken a little time here and there to dig out some of the gravel from the well.  My plan is to dig down to reach water.  I could pound another sandpoint in the ground but I think water is not too much further down.  I have a feeling I can get a better flow from open water than from a sandpoint.

I haven't reached water yet.

No comments: