Friday, January 30, 2009

Modeling my bicycle

Thursday I had a photo shoot. The Great Falls newspaper had earlier interviewed me via email about my bicycling and what I feel are health and environmental reasons for me to bicycle as much as I do. Then Erin, the writer, wanted photos of me and my bicycle. She lined up Dave, a local photographer, to take the photos.

Now I had rambled on in my emails about my reasons for bicycling but when Erin wanted photos it reminded me that all this was for an article to be published. Duh. My natural aversion to the spotlight earlier had left me but now it was back. Too late. I agreed to the photo shoot.

One of the photos ideas they had was to show me carrying groceries on my bicycle. As some of you know, I use my bicycle for all sorts of errands and have carried stuff on my bicycle that would somewhat remind you of people in third world countries and the odd stuff they have carried. But I had no grocery shopping planned. Instead, to help Dave I filled a grocery bag with groceries I had around the house and placed it on my bicycle just as if I was returning from a trip to a grocery store.

To get actions shots I rode back and forth on the road outside the ranch as Dave took various photos with several fancy looking cameras and with various settings. Lots of photos. I rode almost 2 miles back and forth and back and forth as Dave took photos. I didn't mind; it was for a good cause.

And for those of you who know me well, I did wear a bicycle helmet. Knowing how some people get really worked up and on their soapbox when they see a bicyclist in a magazine or newspaper photo without a helmet I warned Erin and Dave that I didn't have a helmet. Dave brought a helmet for me to wear. So, yes, if you see the photo that is me wearing a bicycle helmet.

No comments: