Sunday, January 25, 2009

Like old times

The wind is still blowing! So much so that in parts of the valley closer to Glacier Park the weather service put out a wind chill warning for tonight. For my Minnesota and North Dakota friends this would be a typical winter day, but here... not so.

I had a letter to mail today and no stamp. I decided this morning, before the nearby postal branch closed at noon, I would ride my bicycle to mail the letter. By local I mean the branch is a little over three miles away versus going over six miles uptown to a post office.

The temperature was in the low teens and the wind was blowing. No problem for a guy who commuted to work on a bicycle in Minnesota all winter long over many, many winters, right?

I found I don't miss those "good ol' days". It was cold. My fingers certainly felt it. At the branch I suppressed an inclination to get annoyed at being after a woman with over a dozen packages and a decision on each package whether to use regular or priority mail when all I had was a quick task: buy one stamp with the exact change ready. I used the time waiting to warm up.

I suppose it wasn't that cold as I took a longer way back home and not the shortest route. To achieve the mileage I wanted for the week I wanted those two extra miles.

Still, that was the extent of my outside activity today. I've kept the wood stove going and the house warm and had a big bowl of soup for supper.

No comments: