Monday, January 05, 2009

Snow and roof

Sunday I finished clearing the driveway and some of the yard of snow. Done. Finally. I'm tired.

Then I turned my attention to my roofs. The snow is piled high on them. I noticed a neighbor out with a roof rake pulling snow off his garage roof, and another neighbor up on his garage roof using a shovel to push snow off. And speaking with my brother today he told me that he bought a roof rake and cleared snow from his house roof today.

I think I am fine with the snow level on my roofs but the forecast is for more snow (2 to 5 inches Monday). Then later this week, rain. I am bit concerned with the snow on the roof soaking up the rain and getting heavier as the temperature won't be warm enough to melt much of the snow.

I don't have a roof rake so I used a step ladder and my shovel and cleared 3/4 of the snow from the tool shed roof before dark. The last quarter I can't reach when standing on the ladder and I don't want to step up onto the roof at this time as it will be too slippery.

The start of my clearing the tool shed roof.


My simple mailbox snowplow protector.


A cleared front driveway.



The sun came out this afternoon. Lots of fresh snow on the Swan Range.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh yes, you should definitely worry about the snow soaking up the rain! The weight of the snow is heavy enough to cause cracks on your roof. Seeing how thick the layer of the snow is, you may opt to use a snow chute. Your house and your life are at risk if you don’t take immediate action.

Lue Madson