Friday, January 02, 2009

Starting the new year off with snow

I've forgotten when our latest batch of snowfall started. For the season we have had over 34 inches of snow. The forecast is for the snow to continue to fall in a winter storm through Friday. It may become a rain/snow mix. Yuck. If no rain then we are forecast to get a half a foot or more of snow.

I cleared a little of the driveway Wednesday. It continued to snow. Thursday afternoon I cleared the entire driveway. Better to not have some snow on the driveway if it starts to rain. And the deeper the snow the harder it is to clear.

I noticed Wednesday several vehicles slid off the road. I noticed at the south end of the ranch a vehicle in the ditch across the road. A few vehicles slowed or stopped when passing but the driver apparently wasn't there as they continued on.

From the tracks I found in the snow the other vehicle went partly in the ditch by my driveway. They went off the road before my driveway and their forward momentum led them up onto my driveway where they got back onto the road. I am happy they didn't go completely off the road as that may have meant hitting one the posts framing my driveway and holding my ranch's sign above it.

The gas company was out yesterday to check my meter to make sure it was working correctly. I haven't gotten around to lighting my furnace's pilot light. From the gas company's view... cold winter weather and zero gas usage... maybe the meter is broken?

No comments: